What does being present mean to you?  Have you been in a room or at dinner with a group of people and one (maybe more) are on their cell phone the majority of the time?  How do you feel? Not important, not valued, not interesting, not heard or all of the above?  If you are the one on your phone, is what your viewing more important than the people in front of you?  Human interaction is a gift that we too often take for granted.  Why is it so hard to be present or in the moment these days?  Why is it so hard to listen to the people in front of you?  Really listen with an open heart and without distractions.  The truth is, it's not hard at all!  It's a choice we make.  

When I grew up we had no cell phones.  Hell, I didn't even have a computer!  There was no texting.  I had to speak my feelings and emotions not just send on emoji or meme.  I had to write my feelings down in a letter and hand it to my boyfriend (and Ken still has those letters).  That seems like a lost art now and that is sad to me.  

When our kids were teenagers the rule was no phones at the dinner table.  That meant parents AND kids.  We actually had to talk about our day.  Sometimes that was the only chance we had to catch up and connect with the kids out of a whole day.  I absolutely treasure that small time we set aside every night and we learned a lot about our kids during those talks.

We have such a drive to multitask constantly.  It's like we have no self worth if we aren't doing 100 things at the same time. What are we trying to prove and who are we trying to impress? It's alright to go to dinner to catch up and sit across from someone and have a conversation without ever getting your phone out.  Take one hour to eat, talk and more importantly listen. It's ok to go to a family gathering and leave your phone in your purse or pocket.  Show those around you that you care more about them and give them a couple hours of your day.  It's ok to give them your undivided attention, laugh with them and learn what's happening in their life.  Your world won't fall apart if you don't check Facebook for two hours.  Your job won't fire you if you don't check your email or text for two hours. We get 24 hours everyday and I don't think it's too much to ask to give those you love and care about one or two of those hours.  I have found that we make time for that which matters.  

I have been that person that was glued to their phone.  My job required me to be available pretty much at all times.  I had contractors calling that lock boxes where missing keys at all hours of the day/night.  I had 52 office leaders calling for misc. issues they were having or supplies they needed.  I had calls with hiring issues that needed handled in a timely manner. There was always something!  I ended up leaving that job before I even had another one.  My family suffered during those years and honestly I lost myself in my job and no one should ever do that.  I took a $4 an hour pay cut and got a 9:30am-6pm job and got along just fine. It was actually one of the best things I ever did for my soul and my sanity.  You have to have balance in your life. I can't get that lost time back and I regret that.  


Please never be so busy that you loose sight of what really matters.  Being present and listening is not only a gift to those around you but it's a true gift to yourself.
In light and love,
Lisa

Comments

Popular Posts