Mindfulness

    I hope this post finds you all doing well. I hope you are all getting back to a more "normal" life after the past year of turmoil. I'm going to share what I have on my mind lately in hopes it makes you take a minute and look at your own life.


Have you ever thought about living your life more mindfully? Have you thought about what positive change that could bring to your life? I always thought of myself as striving to live a more mindful life. I thought I was doing a pretty good job at it, too. That is until I took a class on the subject. I'm just learning about the foundations of mindfulness right now. It's already been eye opening!


Prior to class, I had already been working on being more present and really trying to "see" people. I always smile and say hello to people but rarely did I take time to have a conversation with someone I didn't know. I have met some pretty interesting people just by being more open and willing to listen; actually, three of them in the past two weeks! Listening more and talking less is not natural for me! Anyone that knows me will back this up! I always thought to relate to people you should listen to them and when they are finished give a story about yourself that could show them you can relate. I was so wrong in my thinking. I'm not even sure where that thought process came from. I've been doing it so long it's like I was on auto pilot and didn't even give it thought. Let me tell you, it's not easy to break this habit! But, I'm learning that really listening, without already thinking what you are going to say in return, goes such a long way. I have enjoyed speaking with people and showing them kindness with uninterrupted listening and sincere caring. People are struggling right now in so many ways. You might just be the bright spot of their day or whole week if you just take a short time to plug in and truly listen to them.


I find it's hard for me to remain undistracted when I'm speaking to someone. We live in a world where we are so plugged in all the time that distractions seem constant. I have to make a real effort to stay in the moment and shut out distractions. In order for me to tune in and pay attention to this present moment, there are a couple things I need to do. I need to tune into the person I'm speaking with. Look at them and really see them. I watch their body language and hear the tone of their voice and the words/story they are choosing to share/trust me with. I also have to suspend judgement of what I'm hearing and simply listen. Which brings up the next thing I have to do - I have to be patient. I have to be calm, focused and just be patient. Let their story unfold with an opened mind, opened ears and a shut mouth.


I am such a work in progress! I hope I always am. I want to always be trying to be better for myself so that I can be better for those around me.


I hope you have a beautiful day and you take some time to just be!


With light and love,

Lisa                


         This is where I find peace and it's so easy to shut out distractions! 

                                        Where is your spot?

Comments

Popular Posts