Earth Week 2021



     The climate crisis has never been more urgent of a concern than now.  We all have a responsibility to stand up and take action to protect our planet.  We can take so many steps toward a greener future! I believe even small steps make a huge difference.  I'm NOT preaching!! I have a long way to go too. But I am working at making more responsible choices everyday! I believe small steps are better than no steps! What can you do? Keep reading for some small tips of how you can make a positive impact!

   Did you know the average piece of clothing is only worn 14 times!  Research before you buy your clothes to see what the company stands for.  You can buy from companies that follow ethical treatment and pay to their garment workers.  By supporting those companies you also have a positive effect in their communities.  Seek out eco-friendly fashion and companies that use sustainable fabrics or shop at upcycled and thrift shops.  We all need to refresh our wardrobe from time to time.  When your time comes, just make sure you donate the old stuff so someone else can get use of it and it doesn't end up at a landfill.   

    Get creative!! Do you have items around your house you want to update?  You can have so much fun reimagining and upcycling items! Furniture is a great place to start!  You can replace old fabric with new and it gives items a whole different vibe. You can turn so many things into planters!  Glass jars or tin cans from veggies can be painted and turned into herb planters. It's pretty amazing what a little paint and fabric can do! Try it out and have fun bringing out your creative side!  

    You can make your home greener in a lot of different ways. Read labels and know what your using to clean your home. There are so many companies offering safe and greener solutions to the old cleaners or just make your own!  I have been swapping glass bottles for plastic ones for our cleaning needs.  You don't have to do it all at once! Just one at a time as you finish the cleaners that come in a plastic spray bottle don't purchase replacements. I bought glass spray bottles from Grove and I have been trying out different homemade cleaners. If you are really into the smell of your regular cleaners, just add your favorite essential oils to your homemade ones!  I cut up my husbands old t-shirt, keep them in a large canning jar with a bleach, water and essential oil mixture.  It smells great and I use it to clean door handles, counter tops and bathrooms.  You can use it anywhere you use a disposable disinfecting wipe.  Just throw them in the laundry with your towels after you use them.  You can also use your food scraps and start a composed bin. Those scraps you were throwing in the trash will turn into fertilizer for gardens, plants or even to repair spots in your yard. Energy conservation is a easy way to help too and it can save you some money in the process.  Just being mindful of turning lights off and unplug things when not in use can save you some green!  These are just a couple ideas!  There are so many ways to make your home greener!

    Our planet is pretty spectacular and it's our job to protect it.  I enjoy getting out in nature so much that I feel a responsibility to care for it. I pick up trash in our community multiple times a month. We have a group called Wild Keepers that is all across the country. Being a ambassador with others helps make it fun!  I will say once you start doing this you will see trash everywhere you go and feel the need to always have a trash bag with you!  I also volunteer at our local park.  I help protect natural areas by pick up trash and help maintain a healthy park system.  We remove invasive plants, work at conservation and preserving outdoor spaces. I feel I owe it to future generations so they can enjoy it the same way I have.

    The need to save our planet is huge.  If everyone takes some responsibility we can make a huge change. Together, we can prevent climate disasters and destruction and restore our Earth! Join the movement, make small changes and help make a difference!  I thank you and future generations thank you.  I'm grateful for your willingness to learn new things and take small steps towards a better future.  My grandkids will thank you too!

With light and love,

Lisa

                                    

It was a pick up trash and clean up the park kind of day

I always love a good Ohio sunrise to start a new day



Nature hike at it's finest.  Help me work to keep
this beauty alive and well





Comments

Popular Posts