Legacy

I once read that our legacies are simply the sum total of all the choices we make. Have you really ever thought of that? I try to make choices that are right for today but more importantly right for future generations. Legacy isn't just money you've earned or how well you've done in your life.  It's also what you've learned along the way.  I will never be a rich women financially.  I am incredibly rich in the things that truly matters (to me).  It's not just rich and famous people that leave a legacy.  Normal everyday people like me and you do to.

The definition of legacy is Noun, an amount of money or property left to someone in a will.  Adjective, denoting or relating to software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of it's wide use.

What would you like your legacy to represent?  Do you want to leave real estate or money behind? That's fine and your family would probably really appreciate it.  Do you want to leave journals of what your life was like and what you would do differently? That would be used as a teaching tool for the next generation.  It would also allow them to know you when they otherwise might not get the opportunity to.  Are you someone that has done amazing work with charities and have you used your life to help others?  That's wonderful and I'm sure you've changed and enhanced many other peoples lives. Is politics what drive you? Do you want to change or improve laws for a better future? Only you know what you want to leave behind and what's important to you.

Think about little things you can do to help future generations.  Recycling takes little effort but makes a huge impact on the environment. We need to come up with solutions to stop using so much plastic!  We must stop being wasteful and use what you already have.  We don't need to just keep buying and grow tired of what we bought so we buy again.  What a vicious cycle of waste! I hope at the very least we are donating the things that no longer bring us joy so someone else can repurpose or reuse it.

To help you figure out what legacy you will leave behind I will share what I'm working on.  I ask myself these questions and answer honestly.

1. What I have valued most in my life is
2. My life experiences have taught me
3. My hopes for the future generations include

We owe the next generation just like the one before us owed us.  To leave things better than we found them. If you can't make things better at least don't make it worse. There are very few (if any) THINGS you take to the grave with you.  The number one thing you leave behind is your legacy and how you lived your life. You have the power to decide what that is!


                     I took this on a morning walk on a vacation.  The sky looked incredible! I want to keep this planet in good shape so future generation can enjoy it as much as I have.  

These are our (grown) children.  They are also parents to our future grandchildren.  They deserve the best this world has to offer them.  It's our responsibility to make sure that happen.

Comments

Popular Posts