Ashley's turning 17......

Seventeen years ago tomorrow our youngest daughter came into the world.  I remember it like yesterday.  I was to be induced at 6:30 AM but went into labor during the night so I was in active labor when I got to the hospital.  I wouldn't take pain medication with this birth.  I wanted it to be all natural and wouldn't have done it any other way.  She was born and was perfect (of course).  The first words Ken said was "Lisa, it's a girl just like you wanted".  Truth is I didn't care as long as she was healthy.  We already had a girl and a boy and we already felt very blessed with our family but Ashley was just the final piece of the puzzle. Twenty two hours later I was released from the hospital and was waiting for Ashley to turn 24 hours old so we could take her home. 

She has brought so much joy to my life.  Even the terrible two's were not terrible.  The worse stage was when she lied about everything even little things.  That time was the most challenging. Thank goodness that was before the teenage years. 

We talk about everything and anything.  She knows she can tell me anything and I wont judge her.  I feel like that is a very important part of being a parent.  You have to be open to listen to a childs feelings then guide them in what direction to go.  REALLY LISTEN not just talk.  Sometimes they don't want you to fix it but just listen and be there with a hug and a you will make it through this and tomorrow will be better and you will be stronger for it. 

Ashley Nicole Barclay has been a blessing in my life, I'm proud to be her mother and have the pleasure of watching her turn into the person she is.  She is in a good place in life right now and with a guy that treats her with dignity and respect. What more could a parent want for their child? 

She turns 17 tomorrow, she graduates from high school in about 6 weeks and then will be entering college and the next phase of life.  Enjoy every stage your child goes through because the years pass by so quickly and there is no do over.  We only get one shot to be the best parents we can be.  I really hope I have given her everything she has needed the past 17 years and I look forward to what her future has in store for her. 

Thank you Lord for blessing me with the gift of parenting this child!

Comments

Popular Posts